Monday, January 31, 2011

Ahhh. February.

Is there anything more beautiful than glistening snow in the sunrise? Yes...... Grass. I have reached my limit for snow, as much as I love it. I think that the physical stuff I have been going through is making it difficult for me to get out there and "love it". That's a shame, because it has always been one of my most favorite things. It's not to say my love affair with snow and winter is over, but only to say that yes, a break would be nice. I feel particularly bad for the friends and family on Long Island and points south. The reality is, we signed on for winter. For us, we knew we would be living this. For the southerly friends, not so much. An occasional snow storm is fun. Snow days are great. But the lingering mounds of dirty and icy snow taking up parking spaces and making life difficult is not what a typical long islander is looking for. We used to head down for a visit to get away from it all. Now, it is a trip into the fray. The thing that I DO appreciate about our snow is that it stays pristine for way longer than Long Island. That part I love. We (I use that term loosely) have been plowing every day for a week, and it keeps coming. Yesterday for the first time it occurred to me that using my snow shoes to get to the mailbox might not be a bad idea. That's a new thought. Allison drove yesterday, because practicing driving in the snow is something she needs to do. It was a bit of a change, but altogether not bad. I'm proud of her. I do know that getting out (however distasteful that may be) is the antidoes to depression. I was wallowing in it last week, and found even speaking to be a difficult task. Getting out and getting some Vitamin D, however small a dose, does help the soul. Sometimes though seeing the forest for the trees is beyond our control. And so, wallowing in it for a few days is the only solution. Boy am I glad that part is over! I do feel the days getting brighter for longer, and planning my garden (wherever it is out there) is helping me cope with this never-ending winter. That, and the thought of getting down to L.I. to see some family and friends. I think that has given me a new lease on things. That, and alot of meds. Lyme disease can really rob you of your feeling of ability. I'm working on that. I had a Dr's appointment on Tuesday, and this is the travel conditions I pushed myself out to. For those who like browsing, here is a picture of the camp next to ours, up at Caroga lake. for sale-$54,000. Word has it they purchased it for $19,000 just a few years ago. Quite a price escalation, eh? I imagine this cabin, which is one block from the Association Beach (dues $70 per year) could be had for MUCH less. Just saying! It's a beautiful place to be when the sun is shining, which I'm hoping is sometime soon! Happy Chinese New Year!

No comments: