Wednesday, July 21, 2010

complacency

We took Jerry's Mom for a drive yesterday, all throughout the lower Adirondacks. We drove up to Speculator through Wells and Hope, passing some of the most beautiful scenery I have ever seen. And it wasn't until we were halfway through our trip that it dawned on me that I had not brought our camera. Aside from the family photo opportunities that I was missing, it occurred to me that I have become very complacent about the beauty that surrounds us, and I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a disturbing thing. When you are spoiled every day by the spectacular surroundings of your habitat, isn't it a shame that we become somewhat numbed to its beauty? There was a time that I would not have left the house without the camera in my bag, and now I am never exactly sure where the camera is. That's complacency. We did have a wonderful day. Stopping in Speculator for lunch and shopping we were able to put our hands on a warm indian style boot for baby Collins. He is on our minds all the time. We passed through Piseco and Higgins Bay, and I am always reminded again of the beauty around us. Shame on me. The further north you get, the more rugged and unspoiled the terrain. I am always spurred to the thought that we should be camping and canoing every chance we get. There is a part of both of us that is drawn to the furthest and most remote locations. I think if we had joined forces years ago, we'd probably be living in the Yukon or something. It is comical to see the responses of people who are not of the same mind. They are not exactly sure why we're here, and how do you handle the winter? Those are the usual questions and concerns. My answer is this: Once you get below 30 degrees, does it really matter how cold it is? Cold is cold. We are having the same winter here that is happening on Long Island. No one is hanging out by the Tiki Bar in either location-it's winter. Here, we just have spectacular beauty and a mindset that allows people to work in flannel shirts and chukka boots. We embrace it differently here. That is why I love it-I feel at home. And so, seeing the mountains again from the view of a visitor, I am again poised to jump in an enjoy it. Thanks again Mom for showing us how lucky we are. Sometimes we need a little reminder here and there. Wouldn't it have been great if I had brought the camera?

No comments: