Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Last Day of Summer

Although Labor Day is the official last day of summer, it is really today, for the students anyway. Most schools have their teachers return on the Tuesday after Labor Day and the students return on Wednesday. I am feeling a bit sorry for the teachers today, although I recognize the beauty of routine and productive schedules. Allison has been trying unsuccessfully to change over to "school time", which means getting up at a reasonable hour, and going to bed at a reasonable hour. This has not been easy. I wonder when it is that you decide that sleep is the high point of your day, not the demon you try to avoid at all costs. I have been calling upstairs all morning, "let's go", "gotta get up" "We're on school schedule now". She's still sleeping. When the bus arrives tomorow morning at 6:30, (AM) there is going to be one unhappy camper climbing aboard, I hope. I don't want to set that precedent of driving to school because we missed the bus (I say we, because the consequences affect we), because here in Caroga Lake, school is 12 miles away. On roads that are 30 MPH. Do the math. That's an hour round trip - give or take a few minutes. I'm not looking for that type of road trip until I've had at least 3 or 4 cups of coffee. I may not have any alternative. And so, right alongside all the children who are lamenting and mourning the loss of summer vacation, I do too. I never understood those Staples commercials where the parents are all happy and glad about the kids going back to school. My kids can tell you that I was the biggest whiner of all when it came to end of vacation .This sucks. I always preferred the times when there was no homework, no schedule, and no routine. More fun things happened when we were without a program. The program was always "Let's see what happens". I'm not helping am I? Let's turn this around - Woooooo Hooooooo - Back to School! Yippee. Can you feel the enthusiasm? I think Allison has the right idea - sleep while you can.

No comments: