Thursday, December 3, 2009

Rain-in December?

Last year at this time, we were already well on our way to maximum coverage of snow. If I remember correctly, I had fallen a few times and was recovering in the recliner. What a difference a year makes. We are in full throttle at the Glove, and December is moving by too quickly. Our upcoming shows this Saturday are featuring Santa Claus, a guy I know VERY well. Mr. Claus actually lives here at Blueline Farm, and I'm counting on that jolly laugh to be at its best on Saturday, we're expecting about 150 kids to see the big guy. There will be the two musical Christmas Shows and a Farmer's Market - all in one day. My big concern in the upstairs offices is finishing the grant applications that have a December 31 deadlines, and completing the temporary wine and beer permit application so that our New Year's Eve "Fuel-Aid" concert can go forward. The concert will happen whether or not we have a wine and beer permit, but a dry New Year's eve is not going to be a big draw. It works fine for me, but not for the majority of Stan Devoe's groupies. He is a local "legend" - a Johnny Cash, country type of guy who has a rather large following. He has generously offered his band for New Year's eve because we need to raise alot of money, and we need to raise it NOW. My comments about this year's mild December is actually said as I sigh with relief, because heating the Glove Theatre is an expensive proposition. It is eating all our funds and we're still early in the winter. So, a Live Aid concert was conceived and all proceeds will go towards fuel oil. Not an original idea-Willie Nelson did it for Farm Aid-I'm just hoping we can pull it off successfully. Our season depends on it. So, if you find yourself saying "what should we do on New Year's?" think of The Glove. A $20 ticket with a cash bar (hopefully) is not a bad gig. Downtown Gloversville is starting to really pick up for the Holidays. This town may be going through hard times, but the Holiday decorations are beautiful. I had gone to the eye doctor last week to have my annual checkup, and had my eyes dilated. Driving down Main Street with dilated pupils was like driving through a kaleidescope. Really kind of cool. The colored lights all over were magnificent at dusk. Thankfully, I was able to differentiate between the decorations and the traffic lights, although it did require intense concentration. Fortunately, traffic here is mild or it could have been ugly. I'm working hard, and having fun. I have alot of collaboration with other creative minds (Thanks Jackie!) and I love every minute of it. Isn't that what we try to teach our children? Find a way to get paid for something you love, and you'll never work a day in your life. That's my goal! Drive safe-we're out there!

No comments: