Tuesday, November 18, 2008

complications

Well. I didn't get to the surgeon today. Actually, I got to the surgeon YESTERDAY, where I had another cardiac catheterization. We were picking up paint on Sunday at Wal-Mart, and all of a sudden I had that chest pain that feels as though it is indigestions and someone standing on your chest at the same time. Shoot. Do I ignore it? Is it just indigestion? With my history, I decided to come clean to Jerry and just point out what I was feeling. It was not "painful". It was "uncomfortable". As we had not eaten anything since breakfast (3 hours earlier) and it came on rather quickly, we decided to go to the hospital and get it checked out. I should know by now that getting checked out is going to involve being admitted and large quantities of tests, but I blithely set off thinking I'd be outta there by dinnertime. Wrong. Once they admitted me and ran all the tests, I was happy to hear that my enzymes and other bloodwork were all negative. But, the cardiologist was not satisfied with just that, and wanted to check out the stents and other arteries due to my symptoms and the rapid onset of pain. This is where I began to melt down. I am not a good patient, and less so when I feel like things are spiraling out of control. Suffice it to say that I was hysterical. Long story short, I had stopped the blood thinners in anticipation of shoulder surgery. That might have made me feel a "difference". At any rate, the catheterization went well, I am home now, although I do feel as though I have been mugged. Allison was a trooper throughout it all. The arm surgery has been postponed. Jerry is a prince. I knew that. Thank God he can't hear, or he would be unbearably big-headed.

No comments: