Friday, October 17, 2008

Road Trip

We're heading south to Long Island this weekend. Allison and I will make the trip tonight, after swim practice lets out. I'm looking forward to that time with Allison, where I have a captive audience in the car. We both agree on the radio station as we pass through the Catskills - WSTK - Radio Woodstock. It has a great mix of music that we both like. It's all about the music. I can tune out alot, but not bad music. It becomes like a toothache after awhile. I am not a big fan of hip hop, but I can tolerate some of Allison's music like Falloutboy or Panic at the disco. Some of it, not all of it. Every so often I exercise my supreme rights of radio control and just turn it to my station. I can do that because I own the car and I'm driving. Nice, eh? That being said, we should have a good road trip. I am also looking forward to the Rhinebeck Sheep and Wool Festival which I will attend tomorrow with my friend Jane. It is the mecca for fiber artists - knitters, crochet, weavers and spinners. I can't wait!!!!!! We went last year, and were treated to a beautiful day of vendor after vendor with yarn and roving nicer than I have ever seen. I had not purchased my spinning wheel yet, so I was able to get a good look at them, making my decision on an Ashford Sonata after the festival. it was an opportunity to have hands on before I made the purchase. This year, I'm in the market for a carding machine. That is my quest. A carding machine blends different fibers into one for spinning together. When you have fiber that is 40% this and 60% that, very often it was blended in a carding machine. I want that! So, off we go. Another road trip to Rhinebeck on Saturday. This year I secured a hot ticket - dinner reservations at the Wild Fibers Magazine dinner. It should be entertaining, informative and just right before we get back on the road to Long Island - again. After spending some time with Clint and Joanne and Alexa, I will be back on the road yet again Sunday night, coming home again with Allison. The trip back and forth is becoming easier and easier, and harder and harder. I can do it now on auto pilot, without much effort. I choose the Taconic during daylight hours and the thruway in the dark. The Taconic in the dark scares me a little. I prefer my peace and quiet at home, not while I'm traveling. It's a little too remote for my taste. While all this traveling is going on, Jerry and Brian will be stalking the big one in the woods. Hopefully, they will have a successful hunting trip - but as they say, a bad day hunting is better than a good day working - I think that must be true. As you can see, retirement is keeping us busier than ever. I hope all your road trips are good ones.

No comments: