Sunday, August 16, 2009

Tomato Blight

As you may have read in the Leader Herald or Newsday, the east coast has been hit with tomato blight, the same scourge that wiped out the potato crops in 1847. Like my irish ancestors we spent the day pulling tomato plants from the garden and lamenting the beautiful plants that went from lush, full and healthy to dried out, spotted and ruined in just four days. It is the same story up and down North Bush Road where our neighbors have had to destroy even larger gardens then ours. Our 24 tomato plants were the cream of the crop in my eyes and we were planning on using those tomatoes throughout the winter months. To say that we're disappointed is an understatement. The amish have lost their tomato crops as well, and they are truly dependant upon their crops to survive. It is a sad story for all farmers. On a bright note, the rest of our vegetable garden is looking incredibly healthy and should not be affected by the blight, which only destroys tomatoes and potatoes. Our fingers are crossed. We're headed out tonight to see Alpaca's of Raindance Pond's newest baby cria (baby Alpaca). Richard and Ulla have refused to let me know what the sex of the cria is, enticing us to come for dinner and the solution to that question. We are happy to oblige. This upcoming weekend the Beatles are invading the Glove Theater (in spirit only) with the showing of Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band on Friday night, and the live performance of Beatlemania Again! on Saturday evening. This is the biggest night of the Glove's summer season, and we are all hoping it is a success. With Woodstock's 40th anniversary being celebrated this weekend, I have been enjoying the music of my youth with unusual frequently on the radio and tv. Gotta say, I'm loving it! If anyone is interested, Presale tickets are $20 and $25 at the door, if available. Great price for a great show. As always, the moving is $3. Three bucks! Can't beat that! In reference to my reference that the Glove theater might be haunted, I have no apprehension whatsoever about going to work in an empty 100 year old building. They say that the Schine's, who were the theater's original owners, are still wandering the halls of the offices and the theater itself. I will certainly keep you posted if anything weird takes place, but I have been going to psychics and John Edward for years trying to make contact with the afterlife, with no luck. I don't imagine they'll contact me without some type of medium directing this. Jerry has had a few "interesting" experiences here in Johnstown at our church, but nothing that I have observed. I think he is afterworld connected. Nevertheless, I intend to limit my office hours to daylight until I am fully comfortable within the theater's offices. Then we'll see. I'm a "show me" kind of person. I always have been. I absolutely believe in the afterlife, I just don't know that I can communicate with them. I know some people have that talent and others just don't. Whatever the reason, my communication with the afterlife is pretty one sided. I do alot of talking. So, that's how our weekend came crashing down this Sunday afternoon. Tomorros feels like the first day of school. Wish me luck!

No comments: