Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Let's talk about snow shall we? I now understand those one worded responses from upstaters when you ask a question: Yup. Is it snowing again? "yup". Not much else to say about it. We have taken pictures of it, walked in it, sleighed in it, driven in it, skidded in it, talked about it, fallen in it, and moved it around. It's beauty just never ceases to amaze me, and I hope it never does. Because if it does, it will prove to be a really long winter. At this point in time, that is totally OK with me. I look back on my history, and I have always been drawn to the winter and the mountains. When I was younger I asked for ski trips for Christmas and ice skated my way through high school. As a young adult, camping in the Catskills and being outdoors at the lake in Connecticut was heaven. Jerry and I spent our honeymoon at Swan Lake in the Catskills (Forever thanks to Rich!), in February. It never occurred to us to go south. We are both drawn to the winter, to the mountains, and to the outdoors. I cannot deny the beauty of a warm beach in the middle of winter (right around mid-february, it is a necessity; even for me), or lakeside in July on a beautiful sunny summer day, but my soul is moved by winter and snow. That being said, I can tell you that if my feet get cold, it's over. I am a cold foot wuss. I don't like to be cold, and I do everything I can to make sure that doesn't happen. If I get cold, I cry. Like a baby. Wearing the right clothing for the weather is a real issue here, and one that Allison and I will argue till the cows come home (not our cows, but you know what I mean) I was happiest when I witnessed the kids in snow pants while they were sleigh riding. It warms my heart, and my butt, to see them dressed appropriately. I know I have done my job as a parent. They will be 45 and I will be telling them to put a coat on. I totally love snow pants. I loved them when I was a kid, and I love them still. It is the greatest invention in the world to be able to sit down in a pile of snow, and still be warm. How cool is that? (ha ha, no pun intended). It's like having the right tool for the job. Anyway, back to the snow. I have observed that people here don't plow their driveways, they plow their yards. We are now those people too. If you plow your driveway, by mid-January you will have no where to put the excess snow. Plowing the yard allows for snow storage, cause it isn't going anywhere anytime soon. We just keep piling it up, and the yard keeps getting smaller and smaller (the plowed portion) This is the way to keep ahead of the constant snowfall. Right now, Jerry is plowing more snow. Ten inches last night, and still coming. Jake has to do his perimeter pee in the morning, and the snow really complicates his territory marking. Hard to find the old spots under 10 inches. But he manages. That's essentially his only job, and he takes it very seriously. He single-mindedly marks each corner of our property, and sniffs his way around all the boundaries, making sure that no other dog or animal has peed in his territory. If he finds a strange scent, he will pee on top of that, just to let the other animal know this is Jake's place. Very ingenious and quite deep thinking for a dog. If I could only get him to run the vacuum. He absolutely loves the snow too. Actually, he absolutely loves everything, so I can't really guage his enthusiasm. On a scale of one to ten for enthusiasm, Jake lives at ten. He has never turned down an activity yet. He loves it all. Also, we can all now readily recognize a deer print in the snow, and I am proud of that. We see them everywhere. They do come out on sunny days and graze in the brush, but we don't get too close. I want to establish a no hunting zone in our back gully next year, and maybe drop some apples or seeds, so they will graze there without fear. We are not necessarily on the same page about that, Jerry and I, although I know he wouldn't shoot a deer after establishing a no-hunting zone. That's just plain cheesy. But we may have to negotiate where it is. Imagine if all the deer he is trying to hunt get the word out that the free buffet is in my area and they stay there? We have to think this further. There is nothing like seeing a deer run through the snow. It is just incredibly beautiful. Today is New Year's Eve day, and like everyone in the world, I spend some time and reflect on the year past. It has been a crazy year, but busy and exciting. I spend alot of time wishing my body was in tune with my mind, because together we could accomplish great things. But this year seems to be another year of physical challenges for me, and I hope that they are behind me. Each one, in and of itself, is not terrible. But together, and endlessly, I find myself worn down with little problems that get in the way of a full life. I am grateful that these are the windows I get to gaze out as another day of healing passes by. And I am confident that the next time the kids come, I will be riding down Mussy Road right alongside them. That is my goal. My resolution this year is to live every day to the fullest. To love with abandon and to forgive and forget, with release. That should cover it all. Oh, also, to test my blood sugar five times a day, as I am supposed to. I have quit smoking, which is the greatest achievement of my adult life, besides giving birth, and now I must take on a challenge worthy of the New Year. that will be it. If I could blood-test everyday, and learn to be a great patient, I would benefit and so would the rest of my family. That is a big one. A worthy resolution. So, Happy New Year friends. Stay safe, and may the new year bring you health, happiness and prosperity. And maybe a little snow. It's too fun.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The only way you'll be riding down Mussy Road is if Jerry carries you up...your history of falling is well documented. Happy New Year....

Mother of the Year! said...

The dogs can be trained to bring in the mail, Harley bring in the newpaper every morning. It's great, try it!