Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Politics

I realized this morning that it is hibernation time. We are months from the election, and I am already drowning in rhetoric and spin. I am not the debator of years ago. I no longer enjoy the political dialogue that often goes with youth. I am tired of the never-ending empty promises and wasted time and money that is poured into the political machines. I have not seen enough positive change to warrant all the discussion and coverage that is given to the candidates and their families. Essentially, I don't want to hear it anymore. I vote, don't get me wrong. I am a rabid voter, and I will drive that point home every chance I get. My platform is voting. I don't really care who you vote for (that's not true, what I mean is I don't want to hear who you vote for), but I want to help ensure that people everywhere vote. It's our right, and we need to protect our rights by participating every chance we get. But as for hearing it ad nauseum, no thanks. By hibernating, I mean turning off the TV or better yet, getting really involved in America has Talent. No politics on TV for me.
I was always an avid convention watcher and listened raptly to the candidates of both parties. I have become so turned off by the "sound bytes" and rude behavior of politics that I can't watch anymore. I seek out my information on the internet and through other avenues. Each candidate has written books and disseminated lots of material that can be read quietly in the privacy of your home. You can get a true picture of their policies and records. That is how I get my information. I can't listen to it anymore. It's like being at the dinner table of a really rude family who is bickering over everything. No one is heard, they just keep shouting over each other and trying to make points, not learn anything from the other. I'd rather eat alone.
Today is primary day. We will vote at the Caroga Lake Municipal Building. It is a privilege we take seriously, and enjoy the outcome. Very soon the elections will be over, and the bickering will stop, albeit briefly. Those are heady days for me, when the nation is seemingly happy and getting along with their partisan co-workers. Maybe they can get something done, I hope so.
Small town politics are even more vicious than national politics. People steal signs off each others lawns and from telephone poles. Anonymous e-mails are sent depicting candidates in sordid and immoral picadillos, depending upon your party affiliation. Actually, it's kind of fun. As long as you're not running for anything. I'm learning the players here, and there are lots of them. It promises to be an entertaining election season. The local paper is full of last minute revelations and undeniable political faux pas. I know that politics of generations past were particularly vicious. Candidates used to resort to fists and duels. It has certainly improved since colonial days, when a smack across the face for a perceived insult was accepted, approved and reported on. But not much. I feel like smacking some of them now and again. Which is why I could never run for office. That's front page news for sure. And they deserve a smack or two from SOMEONE. But I will watch quietly from the sidelines, and I will vote. I hope you do too. It's so important, and so easy. We can smack them figuratively. A number of times. Go to it.

No comments: